Strawberry Upside Down Traybake
Strawberry Upside Down Traybake: a deliciously soft sponge topped with strawberries soaked in honey and maple syrup <3
It’s week 2 of the mouthwateringly scrummy TRAYBAKE series, I hope you enjoyed last weeks Lemon & Elderflower Traybake and are ready for another easy and delicious bake!
We’re sticking with the fruity theme this week with this recipe for a strawberry upside down cake and oh my it is tasty! I love strawberries and the addition of maple syrup and honey soaked into the sponge makes this a sticky sweet delight. You can still taste the sharpness from the strawberries and it cuts through the sweetness so well the flavours just sing in your mouth… YUM!
I have another recipe for Strawberry Upside Down Cake with orange and loved the flavours and how moorish it was to eat so I thought why not make it into a traybake recipe?! I’m still in love with the ease of a traybake and how you can mix it up in one bowl, bake it in one tray and ta-da a scrummy treat for you to enjoy! The only added extra for this recipe is heating the syrup mix up but it is so worth it when it soaks into the sponge and adds a little something extra <3
The recipe is a basic vanilla sponge so not to distract you from the delicious topping. I decided to mix honey and maple syrup together so you get some floral notes from the honey with notes of caramel from the maple syrup that compliment each other so well. The syrup is heated with some placed on the bottom of the traybake tin before pressing the strawberries cut side down into the tin to form your base that will turn into your scrumptious top once baked!
Once the cake is baked the leftover syrup mix is drizzled over the top of the still warm sponge so that the sweetness soaks even further into the sponge…. total heaven!! This recipe is a perfect combination of sweet, sharp, sticky and utter scrummy-ness … I’m sure that’s a word and if not it should be to describe this awesome bake.
- 225g butter (I used Stork)
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 orange, zested
- 2tbsp orange juice (from the fresh orange)
- 275g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 100g maple syrup
- 100g honey
- 400g strawberries (hulled and chopped in half)
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C fan/180C/Gas Mark 5/340F. Line a 12in x 9in traybake tin with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Heat the honey and maple syrup together until combined, about 2 minutes. Pour half of the mix into the bottom of the traybake tin and leave to cool.
- To make the sponge; cream the butter and sugar together until soft, light and fluffy. Add in the eggs with 4 tbsp of the flour, stir until combined. Add the orange zest and juice and stir again briefly. Fold in the flour and baking powder to form the sponge mix.
- Press the strawberries into the syrup mix in the tin chopped side down. Pour the sponge mix over the strawberries. You’ll want to dollop the mix in different sections in the tin so you can spread it easier without the strawberries moving around too much. Don’t be afraid to use your fingers to reposition the strawberries if they move as you’ll want an even distribution as this will be what you see on top when turned out.
- Make sure the sponge mix is level and bake for 30 minutes until the sponge bounces back when gently pressed and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack and pour over the remaining syrup mix so this can soak through.
- Leave to cool before slicing into the desired size and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this delish recipe! Be sure to come back next week to see what the next deliciously tempting TRAYBAKE recipe will be …..
Baking love to all <3
Find me on:
Instagram : @BeckyAnneBakes