Cherry Bakewell Flapjacks
Cherry Bakewell Flapjacks: golden, sticky and sweet flapjacks that taste like cherry bakewells! Deliciously flavoured with almond, filled with cherries and topped with white chocolate and flaked almonds <3
I have a recipe for cherry bakewell flapjacks on my blog already but I thought it was worth updating and upscaling to fit into a larger traybake tin for the TRAYBAKE series! This recipe has a few tweaks as well to really enhance the almond flavour with an added extra of white chocolate on top. I decided I wanted to add flaked almonds as well as almond extract into the main flapjack to boost that delicious flavour… and adding nuts means it’s healthier right?! Oats, nuts and cherries must be good for you!!
I really do absolutely love cherry bakewells, and the flavours combine so well with the sticky sweetness of flapjacks. Flapjacks are known for being sweet, and filling, and very comforting to eat….. and now they can taste just like cherry bakewells! Flapjacks are a classic traybake made with rolled oats, golden syrup, butter, sugar and your choice of flavourings and extras. This recipe combines almonds and cherries with all the classic ingredients to make the ultimate flapjack that reminds me so much of eating cherry bakewells that this recipe may even rival the real thing!
One of the scrummy things about flapjacks is how chewy but soft and sweet they are, do you agree?! Flapjacks really do appeal to all ages as well which makes this a great bake for all the family. The basic flapjack recipe is easily customised to suit your preferences and if your preference is cherry bakewell flavoured then you’re in for a treat!
- 450g rolled oats
- 200g unsalted butter
- 150g golden syrup
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 200g glace cherries, chopped in half
- 1/2tsp almond extract
- 70g toasted flaked almonds
- 150g white chocolate
- 1/2tsp almond extract
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan/200C/Gas Mark 4/350F. Line a 12in x 9in traybake tin with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter, syrup and sugar together in a pan over a medium heat. Stir occasionally until fully melted and combined into liquid syrup.
- Stir in the almond extract, oats and flaked almonds until all the oats are coated in the syrup mix. Fold through the cherries until evenly distributed and also coated in syrup.
- Turn the mixture out into the tin and spread out evenly so everything bakes the same. Bake for 18 minutes or until the edges are starting to turn a darker golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin until fully cooled.
- Melt the white chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water. Be careful not to fill the pan with too much water, you don’t want it touching the bottom of the glass bowl. You can melt the chocolate in a microwave but you can control the heat much better over the hob.
- Once the chocolate has melted stir in the almond extract and spread across the cooled flapjack. Before the chocolate sets sprinkle the flaked almonds on top. Allow to cool and set.
- Cut into your desired shapes and sizes and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this delish recipe! Be sure to come back THIS SATURDAY to see what the next deliciously tempting TRAYBAKE recipe will be …..
Baking love to all <3
Find me on:
Instagram : @BeckyAnneBakes