Pear, Cardamom and Chocolate Chunk Cake
Pear, Cardamom and Chocolate Chunk Cake: a deliciously spiced cake with soft pear and sweet chocolate <3
I have been obsessed with using cardamom in a cake ever since I went to the Whittard Tea Shop in London and tasted their pear and cardamom cake. I remember seeing it on the menu and thinking this sounds intriguing and oh my it was delicious! I’ve been trying to recreate the recipe for a little while and here it is in all it’s spiced glory!!
I really am so pleased with how it turned out! The pear is evenly spread throughout the sponge and then you get a chunk of milk chocolate… so YUMMY!! I can’t describe how the flavour of cardamom works so well with pear and chocolate but it is definitely a winner in my opinion! A deliciously moist sponge thanks to the addition of the pear, gently spiced with ground cardamom and chunks of milk chocolate… oh and a drizzle of more milk chocolate on top because we all love chocolate.
I’ve also used a combination of light brown sugar and golden caster sugar to add some lovely caramel flavour notes and you can see the scrummy golden colour the sponge has turned, so mouthwateringly good! I really do love a sponge that’s golden and has a rich flavour, it really adds to the overall bake and compliments the other ingredients so well.
The cardamom I’ve used within the recipe is from Steenbergs as I’ve never been able to find ground cardamom in the shops. I’m not advertising I’m just saying that I’m totally obsessed with Steenbergs and the quality and variety of their spices. If you’re struggling to find ground cardamom then you can break open cardamom pods and grind down the seeds until you have a fine powder… be warned you might need quite a few pods and some spare time! It may be a little more effort to find or make your own ground cardamom but it creates a delicious and moorish flavour within the cake that is so irresistible!! <3
I really do love how this cake is a little different but tastes so familiar and comforting at the same time… not sure how… must be baking magic!! If you’re looking for a traybake with a difference then this is it. The recipe is designed again to fit perfectly into a 12inch x 9inch traybake tin and with just a chocolate drizzle for decoration it really is an easy bake that you can enjoy.
Recipe time?! Okay then!!
- 225g butter (I used Stork)
- 125g light brown sugar
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 325g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2tsp ground cardamom
- 500g pears, peeled, cored and chopped into 1cm cubes
- 2tbsp light brown sugar
- 150g milk chocolate, chopped into chunks roughly 1cm in size
- 50g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan/180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line and grease a 12inch x 9inch traybake tin and set aside.
- Over a medium heat and using a frying pan put the pears and the 2tbsp light brown sugar into the pan. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and has coated the pear cubes. Turn down the heat and cook on the hob for 10 minutes until they are soft but do not let them go mushy. Set aside whilst you make the cake.
- To make the cake; cream the butter and both sugars together until fluffy and fully combined. Add in the eggs, a little of the flour, ground cardamom and baking powder, stir until combined. Add in the remaining flour and fold through. Fold through the chocolate chunks and pear cubes until evenly distributed throughout the cake mix.
- Turn the cake mix out into the tin and bake for 20 minutes. After this it will start turning golden brown but won’t be baked in the centre. Cover the cake with some foil and bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes until the sponge bounces back when touched and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool. Melt the chocolate in short bursts in the microwave and drizzle over the top of the cake. Cut into squares, slabs or eat it whole! Enjoy <3
Happy Baking all!!
Find me on:
Instagram : @BeckyAnneBakes