Rocky Road Brownies: Super chocolatey, chewy and fudgy brownies filled with walnuts and topped with mini marshmallows, more walnuts and drizzled with more chocolate ❤
If you’re planning on staying home this weekend then why not let these delicious Rocky Road Brownies keep you company! I mean what could be better than settling down at home with some super scrummy brownies… but not just any brownies, ROCKY ROAD Brownies!! I absolutely love rocky road, and brownies, so my favourite two chocolate delights have been combined for this recipe.
For me rocky road means huge amounts of chocolate, walnuts and marshmallows with probably even more chocolate. There are many variations on rocky road that include cherries, or raisins or biscuits but this is my version and I LOVE it!!
I’ve used dark chocolate in the recipe for the brownie mix because it really does make the best brownie, and no it doesn’t taste like dark chocolate, just a super deep and rich chocolate flavour. I’m not a huge fan of dark chocolate but I love these brownies and trust me when I say I wouldn’t enjoy them if they did taste like dark chocolate!!
In the brownie mix I’ve thrown in some mini marshmallows and chopped walnuts to add to the texture and flavour of the brownie. The marshmallows sort of melt when the brownie is baking but they add to the sweet flavour but also make the brownies deliciously chewy so that’s an extra YUMMY bonus!! To really make these brownies the BEST I had to add extra marshmallows, walnuts and chocolate on top because all the added extras are really what makes a slice of rocky road irresistible ❤
I also couldn’t resist adding some rainbow sprinkles on top because when it comes to sprinkles I always think, why not?! I feel like adding sprinkles also adds a bit of fun to the bake and gives the brownies a real WOW factor…. like they’re saying ‘EAT ME!!’ and I totally listened and did.
Unlike my previous brownie recipes I’ve used the method of whisking the eggs and sugar together to give the bake an extra lift and create a somewhat creamy texture whilst maintaining their signature chocolate fudgy-ness. Seems like a win-win, yes?! A little more effort to whisk them together but so so worth it!! Once you’ve tried this recipe you won’t go back, I know I haven’t.
I think it’s time we got to the important part … the recipe!!
For the brownie mix:
- 225g dark chocolate
- 225g unsalted butter
- 4 medium eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 120g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 75g mini marshmallows
- 100g chopped walnuts
For the topping:
- 75g milk chocolate
- 25g mini marshmallows
- 25g chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan/180C/Gas Mark 4/350F and line a 12 inch x 9 inch traybake tin with greaseproof paper, set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a glass bowl over a bain-marie (glass bowl over a pan of boiling water, the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl). Slowly heat until melted and combined. Set aside to cool a little.
- Place the eggs and sugar into a stand mixer or use a hand whisk to whisk the eggs and sugar until pale, thick and increased in volume. They should reach the ‘ribbon-stage’ which means when the beater is lifted it should leave a trail which should stay on top for a few seconds.
- Carefully fold through the chocolate mix into the egg/sugar mix. Fold until combined. Fold through the flour and cocoa powder gently until combined.
- Fold through the marshmallows and walnuts ensuring evenly distributed.
- Pour into the tray bake tin and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool in the tin before turning out onto a cooling rack. Melt the milk chocolate and drizzle over the brownies. Decorate with chopped walnuts, mini marshmallows and sprinkles. Cut into your preferred sized square and enjoy!
Happy Baking all!!
Find me on:
Instagram : @BeckyAnneBakes