Banana and Nutella Loaf Cake: a deliciously moist banana cake with a Nutella swirl and extra Nutella on top!! ❤
I LOVE baking banana cake and I LOVE Nutella… and they really do make a perfect match! Using extra ripe bananas, you know the ones sitting in the fruit bowl almost black?! They are the chosen few needed to make delicious banana loaf cake. What’s better as well is that using bananas means you need less eggs and we all know it’s beginning to be a little tricky to get all the ingredients we need to bake.
I’ve made banana and Nutella muffins before and maybe even a loaf cake but this is the new and improved version for your baking pleasure! I think the sweet flavour of banana goes so well with the sweetness of Nutella and the hint of hazelnut in the background too… YUM!!!
I decided it would be a great idea to mix Nutella straight into some of the cake mix and swirl it through the remaining mix and it turned out to be an excellent idea if I do say so myself!! Just look at that swirl and deep colour and flavour of Nutella all the way through the cake… sounds good right?!
I also thought adding more melted Nutella on top would be great and it soooo is…. I mean extra Nutella can only be a good thing?! It makes the cake sticky and sweet but you can still taste the delish banana flavour of the sponge.
A loaf cake is definitely a firm favourite of mine, mostly because of the ease of baking it, doing minimal decoration and ta-da you have a scrummy cake!! Loaf cake tins are quite common as well so you don’t need any fancy tins, just a standard 2lb loaf tin and you’ve got all you need to make a mouth wateringly good loaf cake.
Sometimes all you need is cake to lift your mood and provide some comfort and for me this is definitely what I needed at the time of baking!! I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe as much as I did…. baking love to you all ❤
- 140g butter (I used Stork)
- 140g light muscovado sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 very ripe medium sized bananas
- 180g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 45g Nutella, melted
- 35g Nutella, melted
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan/ 180C/ Gas Mark 4/ 350F. Line and grease a 2lb loaf tin and set aside.
- Mash the bananas together and set aside until needed.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until combined, it should look fluffy. Add in the eggs and mix again.
- Add in the mashed bananas and 4 tablespoons of the flour, mix until combined.
- Add in the remaining flour and baking powder and fold gently until combined.
- Separate 250g of the cake mix and put into a clean bowl. Mix the 45g of melted Nutella into this cake mix and stir until combined.
- Pour 3/4 of the plain banana cake mix into the loaf tin. Spoon the Nutella cake mix into the tin in small dollops. Pour over the remaining plain banana mix. Using a fork swirl the mixes together gently, you don’t want to over mix.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. If the top is browning you can cover it with foil so the centre can keep cooking.
- Allow to cool. Drizzle over the 35g of melted Nutella. Slice and enjoy!!
Find me on:
Instagram : @BeckyAnneBakes