The Giant ‘Millies Style’ Birthday Cookie: a soft baked white chocolate chunk funfetti cookie in the style of a Millie’s Giant Cookie! ❤
Hello bakers! Celebrating a friend or loved ones birthday is an exciting time that calls for something sweet. I’m sure when you think of a celebratory sweet bake a cake comes to mind but what about a GIANT cookie?! A cookie is so versatile and moreish and requires less time to make but still tastes SO good and would be worthy alternative to cake. You can easily decorate the cookie with any message you like and pipe on as much or little buttercream as you prefer…. easily made into the perfect birthday gift for your special someone.
This Giant Birthday Cookie is a soft baked delight! Filled with white chocolate chunks and the funfetti makes it extra special and FUN to make and eat. The funfetti adds a nice crunch to the cookie that’s a delicious contrast to the soft baked cookie. A yummy soft and gooey centre really makes the cookie so mouth-wateringly good and gives you that ‘oh my gosh’ moment when you take a bite!! I’ve added extra sugar into the recipe which makes it a little different to my other cookie recipes and adds an extra soft texture and a lovely colour to the top.
I’ve chosen a cream and pink colour theme but this can easily changed to suit you and your lucky friend or relative. The buttercream is piped around the edges and used to pipe a cheerful ‘Happy Birthday’ message. I’ve flavoured the buttercream with white chocolate because I LOVE white chocolate and it’s delicious so why not?!
To make the cookie GIANT sized I’ve used a 9 inch tart tin, the only one I had was fluted which actually worked really well as the edges were a little raised and had a nice fluted edge. If you don’t have a 9 inch tin then you can use an 8 inch version and the cookie will be thicker and might need a few minutes longer in the oven. If you can find a 9 inch tin it would really add to the WOW factor for this cookie… who doesn’t love 9 inches of scrummy cookie for their birthday?!
My other half describes this cookie recipe as buttery and sweet that’s a little chewy and so soft… I’m pretty pleased with that description and have to agree with him and add that it really is SO AMAZINGLY good!! The beauty of a Giant Birthday Cookie is that you easily transport it if because of the current circumstances you’re having to make doorstep drops with you birthday baked delights.
- 100g light brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 150g butter (I used Stork)
- 1 medium egg
- 225g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 150g white chocolate chunks or chips
- 3 tbsp funfetti sprinkles
For the buttercream:
- 125g unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 100g white chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan/190C/Gas Mark 4. Line a 9 inch tart or cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars until combined and fluffy. Add the egg and nutmeg and mix again until combined. Add in the flour and baking powder and bring together to form a dough. It will be a wetter dough and this is fine don’t worry.
- Fold through the chocolate chunks and funfetti sprinkles until distributed.
- Press the dough down into the tart/cake tin until evenly spread and it is touching all edges of the tin.
- Bake for 15 minutes until it starts to crack on top and is a lovely golden colour. Allow to cool fully in the tin before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To make the buttercream; whip the butter for a few minutes until increased in volume and paler. Mix in the icing sugar in 2 batches until fully combined and no lumps. Stir through the melted chocolate and milk and mix until combined. If it’s a bit loose chill in the fridge for 10 minutes until firmer.
- Fill a piping bag with the buttercream and use any nozzles you have to pipe on your decoration. I used a mix of Wilton 2D and 1M piping nozzles and then a smaller writing nozzle for the letters. You can also split your buttercream into 2 batches and colour one half pink with a few drops of food colouring.
- To create the design below fill 2 separate piping bags with buttercream, one fitted with the 1M nozzle and the other with the 2D nozzle. Alternate making small drops of buttercream from each nozzle all the way around the cookie. Use the 2D nozzle to create the drop flowers. Fit the piping with a small writing nozzle to then write the message. Enjoy!
Happy Baking and gifting!!
Find me on:
Instagram : @BeckyAnneBakes
© BeckyAnneBakes 2020 Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any of the photos, written content or recipe guides on this blog will mean you are breaking copyright laws. Please do not use my photos without prior permission. If you want to republish a recipe, please re-write it in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.