Terry’s Chocolate Orange NYC Cookies
Terry’s Chocolate Orange NYC Cookies: soft baked cookies flavoured with Terry’s chocolate orange and dark chocolate chunks! 💛
Hello bakers! A few weeks ago I tried out Cupcake Jemma’s Chocolate Chip NYC Cookies and they were epic!! New York style cookies are based on the iconic Levain Bakery cookies and the kit I used to make them was amazing and turned out incredible cookies. I was inspired by how delicious they were and wanted to recreate them but with a twist! Let me tell you, they are the BEST cookies I have ever made!!!
If you’ve never heard of NYC cookies then let me tell you all about them. They’re bigger than your average cookie, they have a gooey soft baked centre with a crispy outside…and they’re packed with chocolate!! Not only do the cookies have chopped up Terry’s Chocolate Orange in them but they have a whole lot of dark chocolate as well. The addition of dark chocolate means they’re not too sweet and sickly. I’m not a fan of dark chocolate but it really adds a delicious flavour to the whole cookie, trust me you’ll like it!!
To really make the cookies the best they can be they must be frozen before baking. If you really can’t wait to bake them freeze them for at least 6 hours but ideally overnight freezing is best. Freezing them means the dough doesn’t spread as much when baked and gives you that iconic and amazing soft centre!! Once baked another super important note is to not move them off the baking tray for at least 30 minutes. The cookies will continue to bake in what’s called carryover cooking, this means they’ll crisp up a little on the bottom and make sure the centre is cooked whilst being gooey still!! Clever right?! I know it’s super tempting to eat them straight from the baking tray but trust me, if you can let them stand … you won’t regret it!!
This recipe for Terry’s Chocolate Orange NYC Cookies is honestly the best cookie recipe I’ve ever baked, shared or eaten!! Everyone that’s tried a cookie has loved them… not a crumb left!! I always take that as a good sign. If you follow the steps you too can have the most delicious and epic tasting cookies EVER!!
- 100g light brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 150g butter (stork or unsalted)
- 1 medium egg
- 265g self raising flour
- 35g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Terry’s Chocolate Orange
- 150g dark chocolate chunks/chips
- Cream both sugars together with the butter until soft and fluffy, a couple of minutes.
- Add the egg and mix well together.
- Add the orange extract and mix again.
- Fold in the flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Ensure all ingredients are mixed well together.
- Chop the chocolate orange segments into rough 1cm cubes. Fold in the chopped chocolate orange and dark chocolate chunks.
- Make 10 balls of dough, each will weigh about 100g. Don’t over mess with the balls, just a rough ball shape.
- Place in a container or on a baking sheet. Cover with cling film or put the lid on. Leave enough space between the balls so they don’t stick together. Freeze overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan/200C. Bake from frozen for 12- 14minutes. Make sure you leave enough space for them on the baking tray to spread a little.
- Remove from the oven. Leave to carry on cooking on the baking tray for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy! Keep in an airtight container to keep them fresh. You can keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months, covered well and kept in a freezer bag.
Find me on:
Instagram : @BeckyAnneBakes
© BeckyAnneBakes 2020 Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any of the photos, written content or recipe guides on this blog will mean you are breaking copyright laws. Please do not use my photos without prior permission. If you want to republish a recipe, please re-write it in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.