Peach Upside Down Cake
Peach Upside Down Cake: a lightly spiced sponge with a sweet peach top!
Hello bakers! Another summer bake has arrived to brighten your screens! This recipe was inspired by PEACHES! I’ve joined in collaboration with bakers from around the world again with the delicious theme of peaches. I LOVE peaches, I always have them on holiday with ice cream so they remind me of warmer days abroad.
I’ve made a strawberry upside down cake before and thought it would work so beautifully with peaches as well. I’ve paired the peaches with honey and the syrup they come with in the tin, sweet and yummy! The layer of syrupy sweetness in the bottom of the tin creates an incredible top once the cake is turned out! This recipe uses tinned peaches rather than fresh ones as I feel they bake better and the cake lasts longer using the tinned variety. You can always change them to fresh if you’d like!
Look how good it looks from above?! No decoration needed, it’s beautifully delicious straight from the oven!! The leftover syrup mix is soaked into the cake once baked and makes the sponge moist and sweet. The sponge is lightly spiced with cinnamon and is whisked for a few extra minutes to make it extra airy and light!! Fruit is in season all around the world and you don’t have to choose peaches to make a scrumptious cake at home. Treat yourself to a slice!!
This cake really is so tempting, I just love it! I love collaborating with other bakers and being inspired by their bakes. Don’t forget to follow my blog to stay up to date with brand new recipes every week!! I have lots of other summer inspired cake recipes on my blog already too… Strawberry and Prosecco Cake or Mango and Coconut Cake! YUM!! Summer baking is so colourful and delicious!
Peach Upside Down Cake
- 220 grams butter
- 200 grams golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 200 grams self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tin peaches in syrup
- 2 tbsp dark and rich honey (I used Billingtons)
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan/200C. Line an 8 inch loose bottomed cake tin with parchment and set aside.
- Pour half the syrup from the tin into a pan with the honey. Heat gently for 2 minutes and then pour half of the mixture into the bottom of the cake tin. Press the sliced peaches down into the syrup mix and make a pattern if you like. Chill the tin in the fridge whilst you make the cake.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and a little paler.
- Add in the eggs and mix again.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Whisk the cake mixture with an electric hand whisk for 2 minutes. It will turn paler and get thicker.
- Dollop the mix over the chilled peaches into the tin. Spread evenly all the way to the sides.
- Place the tin onto a baking sheet to catch any drips! Bake for 40 – 50 minutes. Check after 40 minutes and cover with foil if browning too much and not cooked. Will be ready when golden brown and the sponge springs back quickly when touched.
- Once out the oven loosen the tin and turn upside down. Now the bottom is the top! Spoon over the leftover syrup mix. Slice into 8 generous slices or more if you'd like. Enjoy!
Find me on:
Instagram : @BeckyAnneBakes
© BeckyAnneBakes 2020 Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any of the photos, written content or recipe guides on this blog will mean you are breaking copyright laws. Please do not use my photos without prior permission. If you want to republish a recipe, please re-write it in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.