Carrot Cake Muffins
Carrot Cake Muffins: a soft and lightly spiced carrot cake muffin topped with cream cheese!
Hello bakers! Carrot Cake Muffins are my new favourite muffin. It’s official. I LOVE carrot cake so I really wanted to create a recipe for an on-the-go carrot cake, and that’s how the carrot cake muffin was born! A lightly spiced muffin with walnuts for a little crunch, super tasty!!
This recipe will make 9 jumbo muffins with a delicious rounded top that is so iconic of a good muffin. I have included all the flavours that you would recognise from a classic carrot cake so you won’t be missing out on anything. What’s better than cake on-the-go?! Muffins really are the best grab and go treat, and sometimes the best breakfast!!
I’ve added chopped walnuts to the recipe but you swap them for pecans or any other nut you’d prefer. Or, if you’re not a nut fan, leave them out! As the muffins are smaller than a carrot cake grating the carrot smaller is important to ensure a good texture. When grated the carrot should be 2 – 3 mm in thickness. Just like other muffin recipes they are super easy to make. Wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry in another, mix them up and you’ve got yourself a muffin batter!
The topping is totally optional but it wouldn’t be a carrot cake without cream cheese, right?! The cream cheese topping is simple. Cream cheese mixed with a little icing sugar and cinnamon. I’ve spread a little on top of each muffin and topped it with carrot decoration! They look so tempting and I assure you they are incredibly delicious!!
Carrot Cake Muffins
- 225 g Plain flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 Orange, zest only
- 150 g Light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 250 ml Natural or Greek yogurt
- 150 g Grated carrot (approx 2 medium carrots)
- 90 ml Vegetable oil
- 1 medium Egg
- 75 g Chopped walnuts
For the topping:
- 4 tbsp Cream cheese
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan/200C. You'll need 9 muffin cases and a muffin tin.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and nutmeg in one bowl. Make sure there aren't any lumps from the sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix together the yogurt, oil and egg until combined.
- Pour the wet mix into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the grated carrot and walnuts and mix until combined and distributed.
- Fill 9 muffin cases with the mix. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until browned on top and when a skewer is inserted it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Mix together 4 tbsp of cream cheese with 2 tbsp icing sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Spread on top of each cooled muffin and top with a carrot decoration if you'd like.
I hope you enjoy baking these Carrot Cake Muffins! If you fancy another muffin recipe I love my Caramelised Banana Muffins too – yummy!!
Feeling like something other than a Carrot Cake Muffin?
Find me on:
Instagram : @BeckyAnneBakes
© BeckyAnneBakes 2020 Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any of the photos, written content or recipe guides on this blog will mean you are breaking copyright laws. Please do not use my photos without prior permission. If you want to republish a recipe, please re-write it in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.